Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Shades of Gray

I'm graduating in December, I'm dating a wonderful man who loves God and me, I get compliments on Evan everywhere I go, I have summer work and a growing relationship with Evan's dad and step-mom.

Phew! Sometimes things seem to be moving so fast that I need to say, "Hold on, let's stop and breathe for a few minutes."

But hey, no time for that right?

In this moment I feel that I have nothing meaningful to say but I haven't been posting as often as I need to be. So I've been sitting here thinking about what God has been teaching me. It's a hard question to answer which must mean I haven't been learning anything. However that's a harsh statement because I talk to God every day and read His Word...most days.

I have an ongoing struggle with black, white and gray issues of the world. It's a tug of war for me constantly. It seems that things I've grown up believing to be black and white issues are actually full of shades of gray. So where's the balance? I suppose it's a matter of discernment that can only be found through the Holy Spirit. Then again that sounds like a wishy-washy answer to some of life's hard questions. How is one able to discern what the Holy Spirit is saying? Some would say it's a feeling. Some might say it's a voice in their head. Other's might say it's through the Bible or another person's words. Then again, sometimes we say we are being led by the Holy Spirit when in reality we are following our own selfish desires.

Maybe the Spirit speaks to use through our natural gifts of encouragement or servanthood (1 Samuel 10:10).

John 16 says the Holy Spirit was sent to "convict the world of guilt in regard to sin" I suppose this is where our innate ideas of right and wrong stem from. This passage, when read in context, says the Spirit is sent to convict us of our sins "because men don't believe in [Him]." I truly believe every one of us is faced with the decision to accept/ignore the notion that there is a God who desires an intimate relationship with each of us individually.

What do you think?

No comments: